Thursday, July 19, 2012

A Sticky Situation


I've decided that we can learn some lessons from the squash bug- Don't get yourself into a sticky situation.

I've been battling the pesky demons all seasons and found success with the duct tape method.  Every day I walk to the garden with a mega roll of duct tape which I fashion into little "bracelets".  I turn over as many leaves as I possibly can, examining them for eggs, nymphs and adults.  Eggs are easy, just press the tape, fold and go.  The nymphs are not too bad either.  I catch most as very recent hatchlings so they don't move much.  I end up with a wiggly blob of legs on the tape.  Fold and move on.

The adults see me coming but I'm fast.  I bring the tape from above and behind them.  They aren't ready for that.  They perch on a leaf or climb a vine- in plain sight.  They take chances and think they are indestructible.  Even if you get one, hundreds are awaiting the hatch.  They think they are the Borg- resistance is futile. 

Then I bring down the tape.  It doesn't take much, you barely have to apply any pressure. They hang from the tape, legs kicking in the air trying to grasp anything that might release them, but it's too late.  I fold over the tape and give it a little squeeze.  Another one bites the dust.

My husband says that I'm probably the nightmare adult squash bugs warn their nymphs about- the Freddie Krueger of the garden.  The little ones tremble when it's time for bed, grabbing a firefly as night light.  Mom bug has to check under the leaves, just to make sure the hand of tape isn't hiding beneath their beds.  Be good kids, or Sticky Hand will get you.

It's good advice.  Don't get yourself in a sticky situation.



Duct tape link from On Just a Couple Acres



6 comments:

Candy C. said...

Dang, I think I'M going to have nightmares about "Sticky Hand" now! I'll remember this tip, thanks! :)

LindaG said...

Good tip. I highly dislike bugs, but I love duct tape.
Now I have another use for it.
Have a great weekend!

A Daughter of the King said...

Great idea!

Sunnybrook Farm said...

I never thought of using duct tape. My chickens won't even eat the squash bugs but they will eat stink bugs, figure that out.
The worms that bore into the squash stems have been killing my squash and probably making the squash bugs worry about their next meal.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

This has been the best thing ever! I missed yesterday so I hope I have squash left tomorrow. I'll get out there before it's 103!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I'm so sorry about the worms. I don't know what to do for them.