Sunday, August 12, 2012

Yellow Squash and Cucumber Pickles


Refrigerator squash, red onion and cucumber pickles.
With a bumper crop of various squash on the way, I decided I had to do something with the yellow squash sitting in the fridge.  I came across an on-line recipe so I used it as my base although I changed the ingredients a little to match what I had on hand.  They are refrigerator pickles so I am not worried about getting the proper mix for long term storage.

1-2 yellow squash (small)
1 small cucumber
1/4 sliced (large) red onion
1 TBL combination kosher salt and celery seed
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup white vinegar
3/4 tsp mustard seed
1/4 tsp dry mustard



I took a couple of yellow squash and a spare cucumber, slicing them between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick.  I used about a quarter of a large red onion slicing it a bit thinner.  I placed them into an 8 cup plastic bowl. Then I sprinkled a TBL of combined kosher salt and celery seed.  After coating well, I let it sit in the refrigerator for an hour while I enjoyed a vintage television program.


After an hour I drained the liquid.
In a medium pan I combined sugar, vinegar, mustard seed and dry mustard.
Stir and heat to boiling
Add the drained vegetable mixture
Reheat to a boil again and then remove from the heat 
Let cool for 30 minutes


Ladel into clean pint jars
Wipe the jar and lids down
Screw on lids
Refrigerate for 24 hours
Use with the next 30 days.

I hope they are as tasty as they look!

Linking to Barn-hop-74.html

1 comment:

Candy C. said...

Wow, they DO look tasty! Let us know how they are! :)