Sunday, December 9, 2012

Dressing Table, Saving the Family Furniture


Three Mirrored Make Up Table
Saving the Family Furniture

Another Before and After



I remember sitting at this make up table 
ever since I was small child.
I would dig through the drawers
to sort through all the treasures
stashed away there over the decades.
When my grandmother passed away
I knew I had to have this table.


My husband was against the idea, 
the furniture isn't spectacular, just regular stuff.
He agreed, for me.
And agreed to fix it all up while he is between jobs.


More sanding, planing, clamping, gluing and painting.



Securing the decorative pieces.


I did make a mistake though.
I wanted it to look a "little distressed"

I didn't realize it wouldn't look that way
with a fresh coat of oil based paint.
The top, although completely painted,
is rough since I didn't have him burn off all the paint.

(example of the knobs that match the dresser HERE)

But no matter, it will have a quilted table runner,
and probably a glass tray in the middle,
for all the dressing up my granddaughter, Taylor, 
will do since this will be in her room at our house.


The mirrors can be positioned straight across
or curved in (as in the first photo).
Now we need to move them upstairs,
rearrange her room (here)
and remove her little kitchen/table and chairs
that she had when she was very small.

It will be a pretty re-do for 
a pretty eight year old.

Linking to My Simple Country Living 




15 comments:

Kristi said...

Gorgeous! Your husband did a great job, and I'm sure your granddaughter will enjoy it.

Faith said...

a treasure..passed from one generation to another...and hopefully she will have the same
wonderment and fun going through all the drawers too....

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

This is so pretty!
I mentioned in your post about your chest of drawers...that I have a table similar to this. It was my great grandmothers and she sat at it on her wedding day!
Over the years...it has taken a beating. It is nothing spectacular. But I've dreamed of painting it white. Some point in time, it got painted yellow. yes! Bright yellow.
Well, I think I will for sure paint it white now!
Thanks for showing this. It is lovely. Pat

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Well, I am sure it probably looked great with the decorating style it was in but I think the white will be really pretty for you. That's so sweet that you have something she used on her wedding day!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

That was always so fun, going through the drawers. My grandmother was not one step from being a hoarder, she was just over the line and a confirmed hoarder! She must have kept everything that every deceased relative had, which can be a really cool thing! You can't believe the strange and wonderful things we found in her home.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Thank you! She saw them for the first time last night and loved them.

Lisa said...

What a beautiful job on this treasured piece! The best part is that now more happy memories will be made.

Lisa

LindaG said...

Glad your husband let you keep it. It would have been a shame if it ended up at the dump or something.

Furniture Gallery said...

The way you refurnished this is beautiful. Thank you very much for showing how this process is done.

Catawissa Gazetteer said...

Her husband has very little choice in this or most other matters...if he knows what's good for him, anyway.

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Gorgeous! It's so sweet how it has been passed down in the family. I love items that have stories behind them :)

Michelle said...

It looks great. She is going to love it.

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Pretty table. So nice of you to "save" her!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mark said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.