Wednesday, February 17, 2016

The Splendid Sampler 100 Blocks



I have started a new quilting project with a Facebook group,  The Splendid Sampler hosted by Pat Sloan and Jane Davidson.  We will be making
100 blocks, each six inches and using various quilting methods, 
some way out of my comfort zone.

This is our first block, Hearts Aflutter, which is 
one of the "out of my comfort zone" blocks
since I have almost no experience with applique.


This is the back stitch method where you draw the
applique shape on the back of the base piece


Then you pin the material for the applique
to the front.  You then stitch around the 
applique outline on the back using an unknotted 
running stitch.  Trim the applique material about 1/8 away from the
stitched edge.  Let your block sit for at least a 
few hours so the stitches will "take" and the fabric
will turn easily when you fold the edges under.
Remove a few running stitches at a time and 
make tiny stitches to hold the applique piece to the base.

I have a notebook where I keep my pattern in a plastic sleeve
along with my six inch block, until I get a few of them,  Then I 
will likely transfer them to a separate container until time to 
assemble the quilt- about a year from now since we will have
two blocks per week except during holidays.

Our next block is by Jane Davidson entitled Wings. I'll am using 
1930's fabrics so I'll spend time selecting just the right ones to 
show off the little butterflies made from half square triangles and
embroidered with tiny antennae!  

We also have some bonus projects, one of which I am binding now.  
I will certainly keep busy!

Hopefully during the quilting I can use my new sewing foot 
for the Baby Lock Jane.  It is a special foot used with templates
and rulers to make wonderful shapes such as flowers, snowflakes, 
scallops and feathers!  I need to try then on some practice pieces
that I can make into mug rugs or place mats.


I hope you all are having fun out there!  We are looking at 
good weather this weekend so it will be spent outside 
cleaning up the hives so we can start out bees this
spring.  If all goes well we have a few thousand
bees flying around the garden this year!








1 comment:

Gorges Smythe said...

Your post reminds me of my maternal grandmother and my paternal great aunt. The first quilted all winter, and the second, all year.