Thursday, April 14, 2016

Finding the Morels


The morels are up!
One day they are not there and the next day there 
is a huge mushroom to be found.


We have three of these in a row by a decaying tree,
just where you would expect them to be.
I have marked them because it's easy to overlook
when we still have leaves on the ground.


I don't know if we will eat these but rather let them
spread their spores to make more next year.  I know
we will have more in the leafy area near the dead tree
so we'll wait for those before eating.  I have to wait for
my granddaughter to be here anyway, she loves them.

More information on morels can be found here and here.



3 comments:

LindaG said...

I wish we had them around here. We'd have to go searching the forests, I expect.
Would love to try some, sometime.
Enjoy your discovery and thank you for the photos!

Sandra said...

I live finding mushrooms. We have a little bit of time before we will find any around here.

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

These look so interesting. I remember first reading about them here on your blog. If I were in the woods-- I'd walk past that never once thinking it would be something to eat.
I'll have to check the other links, what's the chances these would grow in the woods around here?!